Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On Down the Road


The last couple of weeks, I've been getting into final art for a forthcoming picture book with Candlewick, written by Phyllis Root. All sketches have been OK'd for finishing except for the cover. Sketches are submitted. It's a crazy fun book to work on. Above's a sketch for one of the spreads (click on it to view it larger). Once approved for finals, my process goes a little like this: print out approved sketches on the laser printer; transfer all approved sketches with graphite onto watercolor paper; ink all drawings (then erase pencil marks underneath); and lastly watercolor. I've been photo-documenting the steps I take using one particular drawing from this particular book. Once's it's all done (2-3 weeks from now), I'll post the whole step-by-step story with pictures here on the blog. Stay tuned!

No comments: