Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Christmas Music


Some new music I got from relatives over the holiday. Specifically, things I asked for on the amazon.com wishlist. First off is the Kinks "Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneyground". I'm easily influenced sometimes. Julie, and Julie's ma Janice, and I saw the latest Wes Anderson movie, "The Darjeeling Limited" several months back when it was out. Anderson is known to pepper his movie soundtracks with stylish, late 60's/early 70's rock. A la Rolling Stones, the Who, Bowie, the Kinks. I wasn't too in on the Kinks music, but the tunes in the movie fit nicely. Sounded really great. So I checked at the library and they didn't have this album, so I promptly added to the xmas wishlist.


"Another Side" has a few really great tunes on it that I'd discovered by way of "The Bootleg Series Vol. 6: Live 1964", which the library DID have. "All I Really Want To Do", "To Ramona", "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)", and "Chimes of Freedom" (not on the Live '64 tho). Found out they were on this disc and the library did not have, so added to the wishlist.


"Planet Waves" has one of my very favorite mid-period Dylan songs, "Forever Young." Chokes me up a bit every single time I hear it. Lib didn't have it. Wishlist did.


To round out this old fashioned Dylan Christmas, I asked for a copy of his autobiography, CHRONICLES. It was a great read. Expectedly vague in points, but enlightening to the history and the bitter pill that is idolatry. I really enjoyed this.

I just got a surprise first email from an author, James Preller, who's picture book MIGHTY CASEY I just illustrated (Feiwel and Friends, spring '08). (We illustrators and authors can sometimes never even correspond or meet, so it's always refreshing when it happens.) A right nice fella and CASEY was a terribly fun book to illustrate. Turns out, by coincidence, Preller's been a Dylanite for the last year too. He too, just got a copy of the old Glaser/Dylan poster! Good taste, that Preller.

No comments: