Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Drawing without Sketching



Basically, my process involves sketching, erasing, sketching, erasing in pencil before I go to a final drawing in ink. I don't usually have the nerve to hit the paper with ink without a sort of graphite blueprint to work from underneath. Ink is pretty dang final. You can't really undo it. And I'm not a big "white out" type of guy. So, I've been trying to work in my sketchbook some lately getting rid of the first part. Just to see what happens. Results have ranged from somewhat elegant, to downright ugly. But it's pretty liberating. And it's neat to see where the line goes. Or doesn't. And mistakes aren't always a bad thing. Anyway, these were inspired by a couple day bout of raking lots of leaf accumulation in our back yard. True that.

No comments: