Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hand-Lettering for the English Speaking

Some may know that my original career path was to be a rocked-out graphic designer. I loved it. I still love it. I love type and image and layout and all that in between. But, it turns out, I didn't want to make a career out of it. Straight truth, I just LOVE to draw. So here I am. But, I like to think, I still work in my own design influence in my illo and in various bits of hand-lettering. This book I'm doing now, has a good bit of the hand-lettering throughout. Turns out, in the publishing world, if you are putting hand-lettered language in your art, it must be created separately. So that it may be scanned separately, and layered into the final layout file (then printed). Reason being, when this book goes across the pond (fingers crossed!) the non-English speaking world ain't gonna get my English language hand-lettering. Another edition(s) will be printed and in the place of my original letering will be, more than likely, a comparable font. Not my preference, substituting one-of-a-kind lettering with a cookie-cut font, but it's just out of my hands. Here's what I'm talking about:

First I create the artwork (click any/all images to zoom...'scuse the pun).



Then, I create the lettering that accompanies said artwork.



Both pieces are sent to the pub and they scan them both and have them layered, type on top of image and it'll look like this on the printed page.



And there's page 28.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool. Another peak behind the scenes. I'm digging it!

nancy john said...

English is the hardest language to be fluent in, in the world. However, it is not the hardest language to learn on the basic level.

IELTS Reading facts

Agustin Tietjen said...

The opinions as initiated above would help students to proceed with all those possible values which must have been followed by them. manuscript typing

aliya seen said...

Our writers are capable to provide such services in all the available disciplines. From the business writing to typing math on word, our skillful team never feel any reluctance in providing premium quality services. equation typer